First MORTAL KOMBAT: LEGACY Web Series Clip Shows Jax vs Kano

Director Kevin Tancharoen's upcoming web-based series produced through Warner Premiere is scheduled for online debut on April 12th, 2011; here is a short clip from the first episode.

mk_lbanner.JPG

Kevin Tancharoen, who directed and produced the popular, unofficial Mortal Kombat: Rebirth fan short that garnered over 10 million views worldwide, is bringing the same gritty directing style to this live-action digital new media series. Fans will be able to delve deep into the history of the warriors they know and love including "Sub-Zero" and "Scorpion." Shooting for Mortal Kombat: Legacy recently wrapped in Vancouver, with a cast consisting of Michael Jai White, Jeri Ryan, Ian Anthony Dale, Darren Shahlavi, Ryan Robbins, Matt Mullins, Tahmoh Penikett, Shane Warren Jones, Peter Shinkoda, Tracy Spiridakos and Beatrice King.

Mortal Kombat: Legacy will premiere online from 12pm - 4pm on Tuesday, April 12th on Machinima Live Stream.

Comments

Interesting John  |  Web Developer

Interesting John's picture

Looking forward to this Big Grin I can't wait to see some hot ninja-on-ninja action!

Ruwan

Ruwan's picture

they lost some of the darkness and grit. this felt a little more mainstream and less disturbing. cleaner and great production value, but i remain optimistic. or OPTIMISTIC PRIME!

Interesting John  |  Web Developer

Interesting John's picture

I think things can be more realistic without being dirty and gritty.

Ruwan

Ruwan's picture

i don't think i'd want watch it then. i was looking forward to a grounded in reality...Rated R version of Mortal Kombat. but if it ends up being just a tease for a PG-13 flick, i'll pass. i'd rather play the game.

FINISH HIM!

Pietro Filipponi  |  Managing Editor

Pietro Filipponi's picture
Ruwan wrote:

i don't think i'd want watch it then. i was looking forward to a grounded in reality...Rated R version of Mortal Kombat. but if it ends up being just a tease for a PG-13 flick, i'll pass. i'd rather play the game.

FINISH HIM!

Exactly! The short film was awesome because it DIDN'T stick to canon and worked outside the box.

The sound effects in this are horrible

Interesting John  |  Web Developer

Interesting John's picture
Ruwan wrote:

i don't think i'd want watch it then. i was looking forward to a grounded in reality...Rated R version of Mortal Kombat. but if it ends up being just a tease for a PG-13 flick, i'll pass. i'd rather play the game.

FINISH HIM!

I was referencing the visuals only, not necessarily story/content.

Ruwan

Ruwan's picture
Pietro Filipponi wrote:

Exactly! The short film was awesome because it DIDN'T stick to canon and worked outside the box.
The sound effects in this are horrible

pretty much. i don't like how much it's lightened up visually and compositionally. and these both them fight like doofuses. i really expected something that looked like real violence like a bare knuckle boxing match. this felt too choreographed. and the gun moment was awkward an uneeded.

Pietro Filipponi  |  Managing Editor

Pietro Filipponi's picture

^

Ruwan Wins...

FINISH HIM

Ruwan

Ruwan's picture

Sweetre15

Sweetre15's picture

I dont know what Rebirth fans are smoking but the rebirth concept was completely ridiculous and made no frickin sense...

Underground death matches that happens ALL the TIME....puhleeze

Undead prisoners can use their ninja powers to escape from prison in real life right?

The best alternative for a dying acting career isnt finding better scripts but going undercover and fighting serial killers(which undercover cops dont do in real life)...which gets them killed.

All someone has to do is self-mutilation and they automatically have super martial arts abilities that rival an expert martial artist...give me a break

Oh and cops make deals with top assassins to go kill criminals when they can just go themselves and shoot them with their frickin guns or just do a little thing like arresting them.

Oh and someone can live 30 years after after being born with a disease that both makes you weak and has an extremely short life expectancy.......I'm glad their treating MK with more respect in this series we havent even gotten the real thing on screen yet.

But word to the wise dont judge something from one fricking fight scene that wasnt meant to be deadly like Cage's. Their in a crime chase sequence of course it wont go all out in that kind of scene.

Pietro Filipponi  |  Managing Editor

Pietro Filipponi's picture
Sweetre15 wrote:

I dont know what Rebirth fans are smoking but the rebirth concept was completely ridiculous and made no frickin sense...

Underground death matches that happens ALL the TIME....puhleeze

Undead prisoners can use their ninja powers to escape from prison in real life right?

The best alternative for a dying acting career isnt finding better scripts but going undercover and fighting serial killers(which undercover cops dont do in real life)...which gets them killed.

All someone has to do is self-mutilation and they automatically have super martial arts abilities that rival an expert martial artist...give me a break

Oh and cops make deals with top assassins to go kill criminals when they can just go themselves and shoot them with their frickin guns or just do a little thing like arresting them.

Oh and someone can live 30 years after after being born with a disease that both makes you weak and has an extremely short life expectancy.......I'm glad their treating MK with more respect in this series we havent even gotten the real thing on screen yet.

But word to the wise dont judge something from one fricking fight scene that wasnt meant to be deadly like Cage's. Their in a crime chase sequence of course it wont go all out in that kind of scene.

Mortal Kombat... the story that spawned 9 video games and 2 movies already... is a ridiculous concept for a film. Flat out, unadulterated absurdity.

A guy who shoots a rope with an arrow on it to drag people across the room. Oh, and he has no eyes or skin or muscle on his face. His head is just a skull (with no tongue) but he still talks

Blond cop that has no specialized abilities can hold her own in fights with superpowered/fantasy powered beings. And her huge tits never get in way of all those chest punches/kicks she receives.

Another cop looses his arms and gets... robot arms. robot. arms.

The only Asian guy in the whole shebang just so happens to be the most racist incarnation of Chinese martial artist since the 60s. They make him sounds like Bruce Lee on cocaine.

See? I can break it down and make it sound silly too!

Sweetre15

Sweetre15's picture
Pietro Filipponi wrote:
Sweetre15 wrote:

I dont know what Rebirth fans are smoking but the rebirth concept was completely ridiculous and made no frickin sense...

Underground death matches that happens ALL the TIME....puhleeze

Undead prisoners can use their ninja powers to escape from prison in real life right?

The best alternative for a dying acting career isnt finding better scripts but going undercover and fighting serial killers(which undercover cops dont do in real life)...which gets them killed.

All someone has to do is self-mutilation and they automatically have super martial arts abilities that rival an expert martial artist...give me a break

Oh and cops make deals with top assassins to go kill criminals when they can just go themselves and shoot them with their frickin guns or just do a little thing like arresting them.

Oh and someone can live 30 years after after being born with a disease that both makes you weak and has an extremely short life expectancy.......I'm glad their treating MK with more respect in this series we havent even gotten the real thing on screen yet.

But word to the wise dont judge something from one fricking fight scene that wasnt meant to be deadly like Cage's. Their in a crime chase sequence of course it wont go all out in that kind of scene.

Mortal Kombat... the story that spawned 9 video games and 2 movies already... is a ridiculous concept for a film. Flat out, unadulterated absurdity.

A guy who shoots a rope with an arrow on it to drag people across the room. Oh, and he has no eyes or skin or muscle on his face. His head is just a skull (with no tongue) but he still talks

Blond cop that has no specialized abilities can hold her own in fights with superpowered/fantasy powered beings. And her huge tits never get in way of all those chest punches/kicks she receives.

Another cop looses his arms and gets... robot arms. robot. arms.

The only Asian guy in the whole shebang just so happens to be the most racist incarnation of Chinese martial artist since the 60s. They make him sounds like Bruce Lee on cocaine.

See? I can break it down and make it sound silly too!

Nice Try

1. In the right hands Mortal Kombat would be no more "absurd" than the premises of Thor, Green Lantern, Harry Potter or X-men

2. Scorpion has the excuse of being an undead Hellspawn, which is supernatural, so the fact that he has no face and can still talk makes that point moot.

3. Ha!...The fact that the humans learn supernatural abilities on the island(which would level the playing field some) makes that point moot as well seeing as how Sonya learns show to shoot rings and makes poison kisses. Two she's a Special Forces agent not a cop.

4. Liu Kang is NOT the only Asian in it seeing as how Subzero, Scorpion, Kung Lao, Shang Tsung Rayden , Kitana, Mileena, and Bo Rai Cho to name some are Asian. Liu Kang is meant to be a tribute to Bruce Lee in the same way that Fei Long from SF is as well as Law from Tekken. Not to mention Liu Kang doesnt sound like that when he ACTUALLY TALKS in the games.

Anyway, my point is that the rebirth film's so called "realism" was actually far from it when a lot of the elements in MK could be excused because the premise is fantastical to begin with....and that the character descriptions in the premise were rather absurd themselves. I didnt like the previous films either because they fricked up alot of sh!t with the games mythos but completely pissing on it is NOT the way to go which is what WB realized obviously.

Pietro Filipponi  |  Managing Editor

Pietro Filipponi's picture
Sweetre15 wrote:

Nice Try

1. In the right hands Mortal Kombat would be no more "absurd" than the premises of Thor, Green Lantern, Harry Potter or X-men

2. Scorpion has the excuse of being an undead Hellspawn, which is supernatural, so the fact that he has no face and can still talk makes that point moot.

3. Ha!...The fact that the humans learn supernatural abilities on the island(which would level the playing field some) makes that point moot as well seeing as how Sonya learns show to shoot rings and makes poison kisses. Two she's a Special Forces agent not a cop.

4. Liu Kang is NOT the only Asian in it seeing as how Subzero, Scorpion, Kung Lao, Shang Tsung Rayden , Kitana, Mileena, and Bo Rai Cho to name some are Asian. Liu Kang is meant to be a tribute to Bruce Lee in the same way that Fei Long from SF is as well as Law from Tekken. Not to mention Liu Kang doesnt sound like that when he ACTUALLY TALKS in the games.

Anyway, my point is that the rebirth film's so called "realism" was actually far from it when a lot of the elements in MK could be excused because the premise is fantastical to begin with....and that the character descriptions in the premise were rather absurd themselves. I didnt like the previous films either because they fricked up alot of sh!t with the games mythos but completely pissing on it is NOT the way to go which is what WB realized obviously.

Everything you just said ^there^ added the this convo that's gone on WAY too long shows how ridiculous a live-action Mortal Kombat movie would be if translated verbatim from the games.

Too far out there, too absurd, too much suspension of disbelief. After all, the entire story revolves around nothing but a fighting tournament; of which Game of Death and Enter the Dragon were the only two films of the past 50 years to make believable on film.

Sweetre15

Sweetre15's picture
Pietro Filipponi wrote:
Sweetre15 wrote:

Nice Try

1. In the right hands Mortal Kombat would be no more "absurd" than the premises of Thor, Green Lantern, Harry Potter or X-men

2. Scorpion has the excuse of being an undead Hellspawn, which is supernatural, so the fact that he has no face and can still talk makes that point moot.

3. Ha!...The fact that the humans learn supernatural abilities on the island(which would level the playing field some) makes that point moot as well seeing as how Sonya learns show to shoot rings and makes poison kisses. Two she's a Special Forces agent not a cop.

4. Liu Kang is NOT the only Asian in it seeing as how Subzero, Scorpion, Kung Lao, Shang Tsung Rayden , Kitana, Mileena, and Bo Rai Cho to name some are Asian. Liu Kang is meant to be a tribute to Bruce Lee in the same way that Fei Long from SF is as well as Law from Tekken. Not to mention Liu Kang doesnt sound like that when he ACTUALLY TALKS in the games.

Anyway, my point is that the rebirth film's so called "realism" was actually far from it when a lot of the elements in MK could be excused because the premise is fantastical to begin with....and that the character descriptions in the premise were rather absurd themselves. I didnt like the previous films either because they fricked up alot of sh!t with the games mythos but completely pissing on it is NOT the way to go which is what WB realized obviously.

Everything you just said ^there^ added the this convo that's gone on WAY too long shows how ridiculous a live-action Mortal Kombat movie would be if translated verbatim from the games.

Too far out there, too absurd, too much suspension of disbelief. After all, the entire story revolves around nothing but a fighting tournament; of which Game of Death and Enter the Dragon were the only two films of the past 50 years to make believable on film.

I never said it had to be translated 100% from the games it's just needs to keep the core premise, characterizations, and motivations intact.

1. The premise of Mortal Kombat was that the elder gods were giving Earthrealm a fighting chance to defend their realms from an otherwordly threat that's trying to conquer it. The tournament is merely a way to keep the situation under control.

2. It didn't always revolve around a tournament if going off of the first three games seeing as how the first game was the only "sanctioned" tournament . The second game was a false tournament used as means to trick the humans into going to Outworld so Kahn can kill them himselves. The third game was an attack on the real world by Kahn and co. If you can wrap your head around concepts presented in Green Lantern, Thor, Hero, Pan's Labryinth, Lord of The Rings, Harry Potter, Matrix etc.... Then this isnt too far off.

3. If you wanted to add "realism" to it just do it by humanizing the human characters and their reactions to the situation at hand aka pointing out the absurdity of the situation by treating it with skepticism or disbelief. And having the humans being put into a world filled with gods, demons, and sorcerers in a tournament being merely used as a facade for Shang Tsung to collect souls as an undertone of it being turned into a conception camp in a sense. While humans are becoming more and more corrupt as the tournament goes on due to succumbing to the kill or be killed nature.

4. It's all about execution and NOT just how fantastical the concept is seeing as how their was a time when people didnt believe you can make Batman's premise believable before Batman Begins came out seeing as how in both incarnations of Batman he is STILL an adult costume vigilante going out and fighting crime with implausible high tech gadgets.

5. Enter The Dragon, Game of Death, Bloodsport, Undisputed 1,2,and 3 made the fighting tournament aspect rather believable.

Pietro Filipponi  |  Managing Editor

Pietro Filipponi's picture
Sweetre15 wrote:

5. Enter The Dragon, Game of Death, Bloodsport, Undisputed 1,2,and 3 made the fighting tournament aspect rather believable.

Aaaaand none of them had guys shooting ice, breathing fire or turning into lizards. Tournament movies are successful (to the male demographic anyway) because of their relativism, not supernatural elements.

We're just going to have to agree to disagree. I was REALLY looking forward to a reimagined MK movie that was dark, gritty and somewhat believable. Now it looks like we're getting a modernized version of the first film but with a smaller budget.

Ruwan

Ruwan's picture
Pietro Filipponi wrote:

We're just going to have to agree to disagree. I was REALLY looking forward to a reimagined. MK movie that was dark, gritty and somewhat believable. Now it looks like we're getting a modernized version of the first film but with a smaller budget.

PIETRO--FINISH HIM!!!!

Interesting John  |  Web Developer

Interesting John's picture

Why is that one guy shooting a spiked penis at the other guy? Eek

Sweetre15

Sweetre15's picture
Pietro Filipponi wrote:
Sweetre15 wrote:

5. Enter The Dragon, Game of Death, Bloodsport, Undisputed 1,2,and 3 made the fighting tournament aspect rather believable.

Aaaaand none of them had guys shooting ice, breathing fire or turning into lizards. Tournament movies are successful (to the male demographic anyway) because of their relativism, not supernatural elements.

We're just going to have to agree to disagree. I was REALLY looking forward to a reimagined MK movie that was dark, gritty and somewhat believable. Now it looks like we're getting a modernized version of the first film but with a smaller budget.

1. You can have all of the dark and grittiness without changing everything about the franchise.

2. I highly doubt it's going to be exactly like the first film just because it's adhering to the canon to an extent. especially seeing as how we'll be seeing the gory stuff judging from the fact that KTanch showed a pic of a bloody severed spine.