STAR TREK Director J.J. Abrams Weighs in on the Possibility of a 3D Sequel
Published: January 14, 2011 - 2:09pm
Abrams revealed last week that he has not yet decided to helm the highly anticipated Trek sequel, but was awaiting the script for review; now the director discusses the possibility of seeing the next film in 3D.
J.J. Abrams is currently working on a new television series titled Alcatraz; but he hasn't forgotten about the film which garnered him the most attention: 2009's Star Trek. The majority of the film's cast have already signed onto to the sequel, even though a script has yet to be greenlit. When recently asked if Paramount Pictures has asked him to consider a 3D treatment for the next film, Abrams said 'Yes,' but he has hesitations:
"I have nothing against 3-D in theory. But I've also never run to the movies because something's in 3-D. [As for Trek], as soon as I read the script, if it says, "Somebody pushes a weapon toward the camera in a menacing way," and we think, "That'd be better in 3-D!"... I dunno. What do you wanna see? 2-D or 3D?
"I'm a big fan of whip pans, which is very hard to do in 3-D. You know, when I was in New York fifteen years ago, and I sort of had the flu, I remember turning the TV on. There were these kids in a very dark, kind of muddy movie that was on a local channel, talking about making out. Then you cut to them walking in the forest, and somebody had a paddleball, and they were doing it right to the camera. It was like this weird, experimental Fellini movie. I was like, "What the [frick] is this movie?" And it was Friday the 13th Part 3 in 3-D — without sex, violence, or 3-D! It was genius."
Once the screenplay by the veteran writing duo of Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman is approved, the cast of Zoe Saldana, Chris Pine, Simon Pegg, Karl Urban, and others, will prepare to bring the yet to be titled Star Trek sequel to theaters June 29th, 2012.