Mark Strong Offers Hints of the GREEN LANTERN Movie's After Credits Scene

Spoiler Warning: The man playing alien Corps member Sinestro teases an Easter egg in Warner Bros' highly anticipated superhero film, Green Lantern, scheduled for theatrical release this June.

Green Lantern

In a universe as vast as it is mysterious, a small but powerful force has existed for centuries. Protectors of peace and justice, they are called the Green Lantern Corps. A brotherhood of warriors sworn to keep intergalactic order, each Green Lantern wears a ring that grants him superpowers. But when a new enemy called Parallax threatens to destroy the balance of power in the Universe, their fate and the fate of Earth lie in the hands of their newest recruit, the first human ever selected: Hal Jordan.

Hal is a gifted and cocky test pilot, but the Green Lanterns have little respect for humans, who have never harnessed the infinite powers of the ring before. But Hal is clearly the missing piece to the puzzle, and along with his determination and willpower, he has one thing no member of the Corps has ever had: humanity. With the encouragement of fellow pilot and childhood sweetheart Carol Ferris (Blake Lively), if Hal can quickly master his new powers and find the courage to overcome his fears, he may prove to be not only the key to defeating Parallax…he will become the greatest Green Lantern of all.

CharArt-Sinestro-KeyArt192.jpg

Speaking with Crave Online, Mark Strong dropped a few hints about a scene in the film that -- though it has yet to be confirmed to have made the final cut -- would offer a set up for future installments of the franchise:

"[The scene] was shot speculatively, I think. There was an idea that there would be an introduction of the idea that the yellow ring corrupts him. Perhaps it was felt in the body of the film, it wasn’t the right time to introduce it.

"So actually the thing to do is introduce everybody to the mythology and the story, and then give them that little taste. Certainly the fanboys who know about it will be excited, and anybody else, at least they have an opportunity of understanding where it could go from here."

Directed by Martin Campbell and starring Ryan Reynolds, Blake Lively, Mark Strong, Peter Sarsgaard, Tim Robbins and Angela Bassett, Green Lantern is scheduled to hit 2D and 3D theaters June 17th, 2011.

Comments

casinoskunk

casinoskunk's picture

The director of Free Enterprise , Robert Meyer Burnett (BurnettRM) said something on his twitter page about people who are fans of Geoff Johns' run on GL will enjoy the credits of the film. I can't find the exact tweet, but it was something along those lines.

Phinehas

Phinehas's picture

I don't like the idea of an outside object "corrupting" Sinestro. It has to be an act of volition. A choice. That's why he would be a bad guy! Not a hapless victim to be pitied. I hope I misunderstood this somehow.

Pietro Filipponi  |  Managing Editor

Pietro Filipponi's picture
Phinehas wrote:

I don't like the idea of an outside object "corrupting" Sinestro. It has to be an act of volition. A choice. That's why he would be a bad guy! Not a hapless victim to be pitied. I hope I misunderstood this somehow.

Nope. You read it right.

DeMoNaSsDiZ

DeMoNaSsDiZ's picture

He needs to make the choice to start his Corps in his own twisted way of improving the Green Lantern Corps to do what MUST be done to police the universe. Having the ring influence him is a sign of weakness. That, Sinestro is not! I want to see him rule Korugar with an iron fist before being banished by the guardians. But as long as I get a Sinestro Corps war I'm good.

Interesting John  |  Web Developer

Interesting John's picture

Like I was telling Pietro on the phone, I think we'll end up seeing Sinestro want the ring to help establish order. it's not that he's being corrupted by an item, think of it this way, Sinestro IS being corrupted, he's beginning to believe that fear, not willpower is necessary for maintaining order, that's a form of corruption. I think you guys are afraid of influence. You're afraid of the ring influencing him.

Phinehas

Phinehas's picture

No, John. Not afraid of the ring "influencing" him. That's not how it was said. Something can "influence" me, but not necessarily "corrupt" me. Corruption comes from an act of volition (Or will, as it were). Influence is an outside energy, but may, or may not be abided. The context of this article seems to suggest that the yellow ring is not merely influencing Sinestro, but somehow causing an internal corruption, much like a drug. If it were the appeal of using fear that "influences" Sinestro to swing the other way, then I'm all in.

Interesting John  |  Web Developer

Interesting John's picture
Phinehas wrote:

No, John. Not afraid of the ring "influencing" him. That's not how it was said. Something can "influence" me, but not necessarily "corrupt" me. Corruption comes from an act of volition (Or will, as it were). Influence is an outside energy, but may, or may not be abided. The context of this article seems to suggest that the yellow ring is not merely influencing Sinestro, but somehow causing an internal corruption, much like a drug. If it were the appeal of using fear that "influences" Sinestro to swing the other way, then I'm all in.

I'm merely saying that it's probably not the ring that influences or corrupts him, but that the knowledge that fear could be more powerful, and harnessed, that corrupts him, or influences him, however you want to think of it.

Phinehas

Phinehas's picture
Interesting John wrote:
Phinehas wrote:

No, John. Not afraid of the ring "influencing" him. That's not how it was said. Something can "influence" me, but not necessarily "corrupt" me. Corruption comes from an act of volition (Or will, as it were). Influence is an outside energy, but may, or may not be abided. The context of this article seems to suggest that the yellow ring is not merely influencing Sinestro, but somehow causing an internal corruption, much like a drug. If it were the appeal of using fear that "influences" Sinestro to swing the other way, then I'm all in.

I'm merely saying that it's probably not the ring that influences or corrupts him, but that the knowledge that fear could be more powerful, and harnessed, that corrupts him, or influences him, however you want to think of it.

I was just responding to what the article says, you don't have to get up in arms with me just because the reviews coming in aren't stellar...

Interesting John  |  Web Developer

Interesting John's picture
Phinehas wrote:
Interesting John wrote:
Phinehas wrote:

No, John. Not afraid of the ring "influencing" him. That's not how it was said. Something can "influence" me, but not necessarily "corrupt" me. Corruption comes from an act of volition (Or will, as it were). Influence is an outside energy, but may, or may not be abided. The context of this article seems to suggest that the yellow ring is not merely influencing Sinestro, but somehow causing an internal corruption, much like a drug. If it were the appeal of using fear that "influences" Sinestro to swing the other way, then I'm all in.

I'm merely saying that it's probably not the ring that influences or corrupts him, but that the knowledge that fear could be more powerful, and harnessed, that corrupts him, or influences him, however you want to think of it.

I was just responding to what the article says, you don't have to get up in arms with me just because the reviews coming in aren't stellar...

Nah, I'm just trying to rationalize what their intentions were, and how it comes across on screen.