- Gotham News is undergoing a design upgrade.. some links may be temporarily broken
2013 Emmy-Themed Cocktail Recipe & Awards Show Drinking Game
Published: September 12, 2013 - 6:12pm
Two of Ulysses Press' new titles -- "Savory Cocktails" & "Lights Camera Booze: Drinking Games for Your Favorite Movies" -- are being featured in this year’s Emmy gift bags. To celebrate this joyous occasion they've offered up an Emmy-themed cocktail recipe and an illustrated drinking game created by the authors of these two books.
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme, divided
- 1 (1/2-inch) piece peeled ginger, roughly chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 3/4 ounce freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 ounces gin or vodka, according to preference
- 1 large, wide lemon peel ‘chip’ for garnish
- 1 drop Miracle Mile Yuzu bitters or other citrus bitters (optional)
In a sturdy, thick-bottomed pint glass from a Boston shaker, use a bar muddler to crush 3 sprigs thyme, ginger, sugar and lemon juice until the ginger is smashed and the thyme is well bruised; about 10 seconds. Pour the gin or vodka into the mixture; swirl or stir lightly until sugar is fully dissolved.
Fill the metal part of a Boston shaker 2/3 full with medium ice cubes. Pour the muddled gin or vodka mixture (including solids) over the ice, then cap the shaker with the pint glass. Shake vigorously until well chilled; about 20 seconds. Uncap the pint glass and use a Hawthorn strainer to strain the liquid from the shaker into a chilled cocktail or coupe glass; it’s fine if bits of thyme and ginger are included in the pour. Garnish with remaining thyme sprig and a lemon chip; its oil expressed onto the surface and rubbed onto the rim then dropped on top. Finish the cocktail with a single drop of bitters, if using. Makes 1.
Neil Patrick Harris is set to emcee the 65th Primetime Emmy Awards® on Sept. 22 on CBS, marking the renowned entertainer's second time hosting the Primetime Emmys. Click HERE to see a list of all the nominees.