- Legendary Musician & Pop Culture Icon Prince Dies at 57
- Former WWE Superstar Joan 'Chyna' Laurer Found Dead at 45
- Popular Williamsburg Bklyn Bar CROWN VIC Closing
- Coachella 2016: 50 Best Crowd, Band & Style Photos
- MTV Movie Awards 2016: Watch the Most Talked About Moments
- Rapper/High School Dropout B.O.B. Starts Twitter Frenzy Over "Flat Earth" Conspiracy
- #OscarsSoWhite: Why The Fuss Matters
- DIE HARD, HARRY POTTER Actor Alan Rickman Dies at 69
The Weinstein Company Picks Up Justin Kurzel’s MACBETH Starring Michael Fassbender & Marion Cotillard
Published: October 23, 2013 - 9:07am
[PRESS RELEASE] New York, NY (October 23, 2013) – The Weinstein Company (TWC) announced today that they are acquiring U.S. and Canadian rights from Studiocanal for director Justin Kurzel’s (SNOWTOWN) big screen adaptation of Shakespeare’s MACBETH.
Jacob Koskoff and Todd Louiso (THE MARC PEASE EXPERIENCE) have penned the screenplay for the film, which will star Michael Fassbender (12 YEARS A SLAVE, SHAME) and Marion Cotillard (THE IMMIGRANT, RUST AND BONE). The project is being produced by See-Saw Films’ Iain Canning and Emile Sherman (THE KING’S SPEECH). STUDIOCANAL is financing and is handling international sales. Film4 developed and is partnering on the project.
Olivier Courson, Studiocanal Chairman and CEO, said “I’m delighted to team up with The Weinstein Company again who are the perfect home for domestic distribution of this high profile film.”
Said TWC Co-Chairman Harvey Weinstein: “Adapting a Shakespeare work like MACBETH takes the ability to infuse timeless tales with originality, while at the same time preserving what makes it classic to begin with. We are excited to be working with See-Saw, the entire filmmaking team, and Studiocanal along with Michael and Marion, who are some of the most daring, profound actors of the moment.”
The deal for MACBETH was negotiated by COO David Glasser, President/MD Europe, Production, Acquisitions and TV Robert Walak and EVP, Business/Legal Affairs & Acquisitions Michal Steinberg for TWC with Harold Van Lier at Studiocanal on behalf of the filmmakers.